The Agony & The Ecstasy: My Set Design Experience


I recently offered to help a good friend with the set design of his grand-daughter's school production of Oklahoma (a feat that I vastly underestimated). Any visions that I had of being applauded for my spectacular stage design disappeared fast as I climbed the twenty-foot ladder for the umpteenth time.

Image Source: https://pixabay.com/en/workshop-tools-equipment-wooden-984022/

While challenging, I found the experience immensely rewarding. Even though it was a small production, I soon began to realise why things happened as they did. For instance, mid-way through the second day, I helped cart out the first "flat” before returning to the dizzy heights of my ladder. A lad stayed behind to peer up at me. I felt like Michelangelo looking down at the Pope, countering his wrath with "WHEN I'M FINISHED!" Showing my age now....

What surprised me most during the design was just how quickly the adhesive we used to join the materials together, dried. By ten I found myself putting the finishing touches to "Clambake”. Tea break, anyone? The production is yet to preview, but I can't wait to see it. Sure enough, I'll be waiting in the wings with a roll of gaffer tape for when something goes wrong. In the meantime, I'm determined to learn more about set design.

One of the wonderful things about retirement is that sometimes, incredible opportunities arise and of course, I have an abundance of time to fill. So, when one of the other men working on the production offered me the chance to visit his set design workshop to see how the experts do it, I couldn’t have agreed any quicker.

We had months on our side to build a set for our little production, but staging companies and set designers work to much tighter deadlines. This was always my main fascination with the process. Just how do they build sets so quickly. So, I asked. The answer; “spray contact adhesive”, accompanied by a wry smile. As I toured the cavernous carpentry workshop with my guide Clive I was impressed by the quiet but cheerful professionalism of the set builders. Earnest conversations were taking place between groups of people poring over designs, peering into a model box and studying the computer visualisations of revolving scenery before each peeled off into their own smaller department and the circular saws started up their ear-piercing music.

On the opposite side of the room a team of joiners -"chippies" -stretched lengthy canvasses on lofty frames, adhesives on standby before the finished article was carried by what looked like ten people over to an A frame, ready for scenic artists to play their part in the production line. Sashes were being slotted into thirty-foot windows with an efficiency which would make any DIY aficionados' eyes water. Generations of opera and stage sets must have employed these same skills, from Garrick to the present day.

My guide, however, was keen to show me modern developments such as the impressive CNC router which was carving some intricate Moorish design into a beautiful piece of golden timber. All this from a PDF or vector file! He explained to me that investment in this equipment had enabled him to cut the cost to the customer while delivering a fast and accurate representation of the original design.
At the far end of the workshop welders were producing streams of sparks, reflections dazzling their visors as they bent close to their task. 

At my approach they were happy to demonstrate the sturdy trellis-like gate they were finishing, which appeared solid to my inexperienced eye but would apparently be light enough to be moved across the stage by only two actors. As we moved into the slightly quieter environment of Clive’s office I immediately spotted several of the original designs for pieces now built with glorious 3D precision out on the shop floor. The walls were in fact covered by key designs for current projects, ranging from TV sets to cruise ships, with a soupcon of opera along the way. The range of finishes to the sets Clive showed me were astonishing even close up, and I made a mental note to visit the latest soon-to-preview new musical soon to hit Shaftesbury Avenue.

Comments