The Modern Market Of Professional Cameras



After years of using a very trustworthy SLR, I feel that the time has come to replace it. Understandably, the market has changed, but I had not realised that it was to such an extent. Upon visiting a local camera shop and discussing my options and preferences with a very helpful sales assistant, I came out much more educated, but also much more confused, as to which camera I wanted. As I understand it, the big players: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic and even Pentax still dominate the market. With the availability of accessories available for them too, they are arguably a better investment in most cases. Moreover, they dominate the market because they are seen to be the best by those who matter, those using them. Nevertheless, choosing the brand is difficult, let alone the model itself. I have, therefore, created a breakdown of my main options and thought it would be worthwhile sharing this for the aid of others in a similar predicament.

While I am by no means an expert in photography, I have always enjoyed the technical aspect and have become fairly experienced. For this reason I prefer to invest that bit more to have the next level of photographic equipment. Nikon professional cameras, in particular, offer a huge improvement in technical ability compared to the high street offers, and if researched correctly you can find them discounted for almost the same price. 

The Nikon D810, in particular, seems to possess the strongest case, with TechRadar naming it ‘the king of the DSLR jungle’ due to its incredible image resolution created by the removal of the anti-aliasing filter you see in most models. However, the Nikon D750 is considered more versatile than its older counterpart. Despite having a mere 24-megapixel image quality (the D810 has 36, the best in the history of DSLRs), the D750 has a faster shooting speed for less money, without compromising on the auto focus system and picture control options which is promising.

Meanwhile, the Canon EOS 7D Mark II has received excellent reviews due to its 10fps shooting and impressive auto focus system but at a miraculously low price (for a professional camera anyway). This has meant that enthusiasts like me are able to afford what is otherwise a professionals-only device. With weather-sealed controls and excellent video functions, it is a far cry above what is being labelled as the ‘priced for amateurs’ label.

This being said, many photography enthusiasts still recommend that the older models are worth looking into. For instance, the Canon EOS 70D was launched back in 2013 but is still maintained as one of the most accurate, with the latest models sharing the same sensor.

While all of the above models have been recommended to me and seem great on paper, it is still the Nikon models that I have been most taken with, simply as a point of personal preference. Nevertheless, there is then the great debate of whether an ‘experienced amateur’ such as me would ever really need such an advanced camera. Though, as I have already stated, I prefer to invest in the advanced technical abilities purely out of interest. For others less intent on this level of technology, it is as Humza Mehbub states, ‘your camera is only as good as you get’ so investing thousands as a beginner is ill advised.

If anyone is in a similar predicament I would love to hear your views on the models I have mentioned above, or any other contenders you believe should have been mentioned.


Comments