Technologically Sound Storage is all the Rage



When I talk about technologically sound storage, I’m not referring to cloud based storage solutions as I often do. In this case, I’m talking about old-school storage like safes, cigar boxes, wine cases, and watch boxes. I’ve been thoroughly enamoured recently by how physical storage has been taking shape. Not only is there a dedicated storage solution for all your treasured possessions, but they come with range of advanced features that would make Tim Cook hang his head in shame.

My curiosity was piqued after coming across an apparently modern range of cigar boxes and wine coolers at a trade show. I expected a bunch of antiques initially, but I was pleasantly surprised. The ultra-sleek storage systems came complete with a futuristic look, as well some awesome features including fingerprint scanners, smartphone compatibility (although I’m not entirely sure what for) and room temperature sync capabilities. This is starting to sound more like something from Bill Gates’ house.

It appears that with the rise in the value and capabilities of our consumer electronics and various other possessions, the need for greater and safer storage was only naturally going to follow. As such, as our regular watch has become a smart-watch, our storage solutions have followed this pattern of development.

Whilst storage solutions for expensive items is nothing new, I was mainly enamoured with how our watch boxes and shoe boxes had evolved alongside our consumer electronics. Although I’d never seen a particular fuss around these products on the market, I assume it’s just because I’m not part of the target demographic; I leave my things scattered on the side without concern for their well being, almost quite foolishly.

On the other side of the argument, my entire point could easily be dismissed. The development and sale of these storage solutions is simply aimed at the wealthy, not for everyday jewellery or watches like many people own. The value of these technologically advanced safes and boxes is on most occasions level or greater than the items in which they protect. My point then shifts to something I’ve discussed previously on multiple occasions; the rise of products as mass-market consumer technologies and electronics.

I previously wrote about the rise of robotics as mass market products. Although the concept seems odd, I believed it was only a matter of time before the consumer electronics market evolved to the point in which it would be possible. I stated the evolution of the robotics market was all dependent on how consumer products evolved over the next decade.

The need for advanced forms of security has of course become tied with many aspects of new technologies, such as the rise of cryptocurrencies and new media. As the capabilities to break and enter within a digital sense have become more sophisticated, paranoia has spread through many aspects of the media and political spectrum, encouraging us to take the steps necessary to protect ourselves. Even the world’s largest governments fear a future of digitally enabled cyber-war.

This is just a parallel, but it still represents how our worldly possessions are changing form in the digital spectrum. Will these advanced forms of smart-security become part of the mass market consumer culture? Only time can tell at this point.


Comments