The Best Parts Of Being A Dad



With the beginning of the Easter holidays coming up, my family is starting to get together. I have some great memories of this time of year as I always spend it with my children. Thinking back to all these great times has made me feel quite sentimental and cause me to think about my time as a father.


Becoming a dad is both scary and wonderful at the same time. The role constantly evolves from the moment your child is born, until they grow up and have their own family. Having your first child is life changing for many reasons. You will suddenly be responsible for a life other than your own, your social life will disappear and you will be tired 80 percent of the time. But don’t let that scare you, it is the most amazing experience you will ever have, it’s an experience that never stops and nothing can prepare you for it. Fatherhood can bring both highs and lows but, it’s only the good memories that will stay with you. There are countless wonderful parts to being a dad but here are some of my favourite experiences so far and what I’m still looking forward to.

Play Time

One of the best things about having kids is that you get to act like one again. Your children will suddenly become your best friends as the majority of your spare time is spent with them, trying to make them laugh so you can hear that infectious giggle again and again. I have so many great memories of playing with my kids, chasing them was often a favourite. All kids love to be chased and thrown up in the air, such simple things can cause so much happiness and laughter and, as they get older the fun doesn’t have to stop. 

Christmas is Magical

Christmas takes on a whole new meaning when there are children to spend it with. The excitement and belief in Santa Clause takes you back to your own childhood. I still remember when I believed all my gifts were from Father Christmas; oh to be young again! The excitement and energy of watching adults open their presents just isn’t the same. Seeing how happy your children are on Christmas day is truly one of those moments to cherish.

Father’s Day

One of the best things about being a dad is father’s day, it’s every year and it never gets old. Even your wife gets involved and your whole family shows their love and appreciation. I think it’s even better than a birthday because it doesn’t come with the fear of getting older. It’s a day that’s all about you and your children and it means even more as they grow older. I don’t expect anything but the kids always want to get gifts for dad, which is wonderful; it’s nice to get treated by your kids for a change. Being a techy dad they always treat me to a fun gadget that we can use together. 

Watching Them Grow Up

It’s a very special thing to see your children grow up. Unless you’re a dad you can’t imagine the sense of pride you feel watching them grow. You’re a teacher in their life and do the best you can in guiding them towards the right path. It’s interesting to see them learning how to do things and discovering what they enjoy the most. That bursting sense of pride only gets stronger as they develop. 

Becoming a Granddad

This is something I am still looking forward to. Once your children are all grown up with a job and a mortgage, you’re just itching for one of them to have your grandchild. It’s such a wonderful role to have in life, all the fun times with none of the pressure and sleepless nights. Best of all you get to see your own children become parents just like you did.

Your role as a father will never stop but you must cherish the happy moments because time passes by so quickly.

Do you share similar memories from being a dad or are you looking forward to becoming one? Let me know by commenting. Don't forget to check out the rest of my work on The Technoperative and follow me on twitter for all the latest - @JeffNevil

Comments